The man whose name inspired the interlocking G logo
In the early 1900s Gucci worked as a lift boy at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he was inspired by the elegance of the wealthy people who stayed there and their smart luggage.
On his return to Florence he started making his own line of leather travel bags and accessories and in the 1920s he opened a small leather and equestrian shop in Via della Vigna Nuova.
Gucci later added handbags to his line and relocated to a bigger shop. He was fascinated with horses and his handbags featured clasps and fasteners resembling horse bits and stirrups. He gained a reputation for hiring the best craftsmen he could to work on his products.
In 1938 he expanded his business to Rome. When raw materials became scarce during the war he used materials such as hemp and linen to make his bags, but still trimmed them with metal resembling horse bits and stirrups.
|A Gucci bag in vintage design featuring leather|
and fabric and the familiar interlocking G logo
Gucci and his wife, Aida Calvelli, had six children and four of their sons, Aldo, Vasco, Ugo and Rodolfo later joined the business.
In 1951 Gucci opened a store in Milan and two years later expanded overseas by opening a store in Manhattan.
Gucci died in Milan in 1953 but after his death his sons continued to expand the business, opening boutiques in London and Paris.
Although the first Gucci shop in Florence was in Via della Vigna Nuova, their flagship store is now in nearby Via dè Tornabuoni, the city’s most elegant shopping street, where it sits alongside the other top couturiers and jewellers. The street also has some fashionable cafes where smart shoppers can pause for refreshment.
|The Gucci store in Via Montenapoleone in Milan|
Milan’s Gucci store is right in the heart of the fashion district in Via Monte-napoleone, which is a short walk from the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II. It is one of the four sides of the quadrilateral which makes up Milan’s fashion district. The other three sides are Via Manzoni, Via della Spiga and Via Sant’Andrea.